The Town of Elon, North Carolina, is seeking a Police Chief who is visionary and has demonstrated a history of innovative leadership. The Town of Elon Police Department has a reputation as a highly professional and responsive department. The Police Chief is the public face of the Police Department and must be able to foster effective relationships with the community, town administration, elected officials, regional partners, as well as the command staff, officers, and civilian members of the department. Possessing outstanding communication, advocacy, and critical thinking skills, the successful candidate will be a proactive law enforcement professional with a proven track record in effective change management, 21st Century Policing, and innovative strategic leadership. With a partnership among an active community, the Board of Aldermen which sets the vision and policies, and Town employees who manage Elon’s operations, projects, and beautification, the Town seeks an individual especially qualified to manage the department during a period of expected growth and prosperity that will set Elon apart from other communities in the region.
About the Community:
Elon is home to Elon University and the Twin Lakes Retirement Community. Ranked among the top ten safest cities and best places to live in North Carolina, Elon is a vibrant university town within the Triad Piedmont metropolitan region which is home to multiple universities and colleges. The interaction of active and engaged community members, and university students, faculty, and staff make Elon a center of culture, academia, diversity, and ideas. The community is conveniently located within a few hours of the coast and the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
Throughout its history and continuing today, Elon has retained its small-town friendliness; its sense of place and historic roots; evidence of care for the natural environment; and the exuberance and interchange of ideas that are fostered by the University. Through creative and innovative thinking and careful planning, Elon is preparing for the future. There is an active and ongoing interest in enhancing what is unique about the Town.
About the Organization:
The Town, consisting of five square miles, is governed by a Board of Aldermen utilizing a council/manager form of government. There are six town departments employing 57 FTE employees with a total budget of $11.7M. Solid Waste, recycling, information technology, engineering, and legal services, are outsourced. Building on the vision of ensuring that the Town is a “vibrant and progressive community for all residents,” the Town has recently undertaken a strategic planning process. The adopted strategic plan can be found here.
About the Department and Position:
Reporting to the Town Manager, the Police Chief is responsible for planning, directing, implementing, and evaluating the activities of the Police Department. The Police Chief will be responsible for leading a Department in a community of more than 12,000 residents who expect high levels of service and engagement. The Department has a $1,88 M Budget, 17 sworn personnel, two part-time parking enforcement officers, and an administrative assistant. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader who will work well with the Town’s Management Team, elected officials, Elon University staff and students, community members, and surrounding law enforcement agencies, and will be experienced and confident in managing all areas of a full-service police department.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or other relevant fields and ten (10) years of progressive law enforcement experience to include five (5) years of management/command level experience. Master’s Degree and Advanced Law Enforcement Training are preferred.
Must have a valid NC driver’s license or the ability to obtain a valid NC driver’s license within 60 days of hire. Must have current certification as a municipal or local government law enforcement officer by his/her respective state or with no more than one-year break in full-time sworn service at the time of appointment. Please note that North Carolina law does not recognize nor have a reciprocal relationship with Federal law enforcement certification but does recognize and give partial credit for military police (MP) training, receipt of a MP occupational specialty classification and performance of MP duties.
The successful candidate is:
- Engaged, visible, and skilled in developing trust among members of the community and the police department, with a track record of maintaining public confidence in department integrity;
- Experienced working in council-manager form of government and has expert skills in navigating the complexities of varying roles (e.g. need for building relationships, clear communication, partnering with the University while advocating for and balancing Town needs); proactive in leveraging opportunities for collaborative problem solving and partnerships with other Town Departments, Community Leaders and surrounding public safety agencies such as Elon University Police Department and the Twin Lakes Community Security Team;
- Committed to developing and supporting staff to achieve excellence through increased training, responsibility, productivity, team building, morale, and retention while also able to cultivate a strong, effective leadership team within the Department, to include succession planning;
- An outstanding communicator with highly developed interpersonal skills who speaks clearly, assertively, and transparently with internal and external stakeholders;
- Appreciative of the significance of diversity within all aspects of the department and community, while possessing a track record of innovative solutions to attract, retain, and promote diversity;
- Experienced across functional law enforcement areas such as patrol, support services, investigations, and other specialized units;
- Knowledgeable regarding the use of technology, metrics and data-driven approaches to predict and prevent crime;
- Committed to effectively evaluating law enforcement trends and implementing community-oriented policing strategies; and,
- Experienced in establishing departmental goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and programs and developing, implementing, and monitoring realistic budgets to achieve strategic outcomes.
Salary range and Application process:
Although there is not a residency requirement to live within the corporate town limits of Elon, residency is highly preferred within 12 months of appointment to the position. Hiring range is $68,719.75 to $85,899.69 annually. Starting salary will depend on experience and qualifications.
To confidentially apply for this position, please go to www.developmentalassociates.com, click “Client Openings” (or paste https://www.developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/client-positions/ into your browser) and then the Police Chief – Town of Elon link. All applications must be fully completed and submitted via the online portal. Applicants are encouraged to apply by November 2, 2018. Interviews and on-site skill evaluation will be held December 13 – 14, 2018 in Elon for selected semi-finalists. All inquiries should be emailed to: email@example.com . EEO Employer. The recruitment and selection process is being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC.