|Lori Oakley||Planning Director||Major Plan Review, Land Use||336.584.2859|
|Jenna Peterson||Planner||Minor Plan Review, General Zoning Inquiries||336.586.1014|
|Kristin Cummings||Code Enforcement||Code Violations||336.805.5880|
Meet Our Staff
Lori Oakley-Planning Director
Jenna is the Planner for the Town of Elon. She graduated from UNC Wilmington’s dual masters’ program in Public Administration and Environmental Studies. While at UNC Wilmington, Jenna focused her studies on environmental policy and environmental justice. Jenna also had a fellowship with New Hanover County’s Planning Department. She is excited to work for the Town of Elon and to be a part of the Elon community.
Planning Department Goals:
- Provide good growth management by making decisions that maintain our small town characteristics by strategically locating new land development in the most appropriate places, help reduce costly suburban sprawl, use existing infrastructure investments, protect environmental resources, and preserve open space.
- Build strong relationships by coordinating and cooperating with key community institutions, and surrounding jurisdictions.
- Carefully preserve Elon’s Environmental Resources.
- Help preserve Elon’s small town character.
- Provide adequate public services and infrastructure.
Some of the many tasks that the Developmental Services team is involved with include:
- Serving as the liaison between the local government, town citizens, and elected/appointed boards.
- Providing good customer service and a working relationship with the community.
- Processing and/or reviewing major/minor developments, final plats, site plans, sign permits, building permits, demolition requests, rezoning requests, annexations, certificates of occupancy, interpretations of the land development ordinance, and zoning/code enforcement.
- Assessing the Land Development Ordinance to ensure its compatibility with state and federal laws and the needs of the local community.
- Representing the town in regional and transportation organizations.
- Meeting with citizens, property owners, entrepreneurs, and investors to provide guidance on issues ranging from potential uses for a property to how to open a new business within the town.