April 21, 2020
I am following-up from my April 3rd message to provide you with additional information that may be helpful as you consider your plans for moving out of your off-campus residence by the end of your current lease. Governor Cooper’s COVID-19 Executive Orders and the Town of Elon Emergency Declaration remain in effect, restricting gatherings to no more than ten individuals and directing that persons maintain a distance of at least six feet, whenever possible. Please be reminded that university and town police will be enforcing these directives. Updated information, guidance, and details related to COVID-19 continues to be posted on the Elon University and Town of Elon websites. We recognize that some students and families may have difficulty traveling to the Elon area in order to move your belongings from your local residence. There are many local moving companies that may be available to pack and ship belongings to your home or store them in the local area until your next lease begins. A list of several local private companies is included at the bottom of this message (second page of the attached letter). Please note these businesses are not associated with Elon University. You may also choose to search online for additional options near the Elon area. We are learning that many moving and storage companies are already starting to fill their appointments in May, so we recommend you call now to explore options and make arrangements.
Below are some important tips to consider if you decide to hire a company to pack and ship or store your belongings:
- Ensure any company you hire is fully licensed and insured.
- Talk with your roommates and landlord before you finalize plans with a mover. Try to avoid pressuring or making assumptions about roommates’ plans. Remember each roommate may have different plans and resources. Confirm dates with one another so there are not any surprises for entry into the house.
- If neither you nor your roommates are still in the area, talk with your landlord about options for allowing movers access to your space and how to return keys.
- To reduce health risks, schedule the packing date for at least four days before/after any other individuals are in the residence.
- If your roommates are moving their own belongings , schedule your move date for after they have moved out OR arrange with your roommates to place all of your belongings in your individual bedroom.
- Consider using video chat with your roommates to streamline communications (Do you want your pots and pans to be packed and shipped? Would you prefer to offer them to your roommate who is still living in the areas? What about laundry detergent or your collection of hot sauces?)
- If you live in a furnished apartment, be sure you are very specific regarding items that should and should not be moved—remember to consider things like lamps, accent furniture, and electronics.
- Remember movers are not house cleaners. Talk with the movers about items they may leave (trash, etc.). Make a plan with your landlord for cleaning, trash removal, and removal of any large items.
Finally, don’t forget to complete the 2020 Census for your local Elon residence! Students living in the local area should complete the census online at www.my2020census.gov. More information may be found a www.elon.edu/u/census/. Please know that completing the 2020 Census with that information is extremely important for future funding and resources that can help make the Town of Elon an even better place to live, learn, work, and otherwise enjoy.
Please reach out if you have questions or if we can assist in any way.
Whitney Gregory (Pronouns: she/her)
Assistant Dean of Students
Dean of Students | Center for Leadership, Suite 105
Campus Box 2045 | 336-278-7233 | email@example.com