The Town of Elon has several volunteer Citizen Advisory Boards and Committees that perform the important function of advising the Town Council on a variety of matters such as zoning, recreational activities, and downtown improvements. The board or committee members are appointed by the Town Council. Below are the different boards and committees. If you are interested in serving on a Board or Committee, please submit a Board and Committee Volunteer Application to DiAnne Enoch, Town Clerk.
The board is established as a “quasi-judicial” administrative Board that operates on a level between the enforcement officials of the Town and courts. The purpose of the Board of Adjustment is to hear and decided appeals from and review any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by an administrative official charged with enforcement of an ordinance adopted pursuant to the land use regulations adopted by the Town. In addition, under the provisions of the Town’s zoning regulations, the Board of Adjustment is responsible for the issuance of Special Use Permits.
Boards and Committees
The Planning Board is established to advise the Town Council on matters related to land use and community development. The Planning Board shall be governed by the terms of G.S. § 160A-360 through 160A-387 and by the terms of the Town of Elon Land Development Ordinance enacted December 2004 and any subsequent amendments thereto. All Board members shall thoroughly familiarize themselves with the provisions of these statutes and ordinances.
The purpose of the committee is to support the Town Council by reviewing and evaluating the Town’s ordinances and policies for potential bias or differential effects. The Town seeks to better understand the adverse impact that these policies and ordinances have on the Town’s residents, businesses and the community as a whole.
The general purpose of the Board is to stimulate the economic vitality in downtown Elon through organization (encouraging cooperation and building leadership in the business community); promotion (creating a positive image of downtown promoting the downtown as an exciting place to live, shop, and invest); design (improving the appearance of the downtown); and through the development and recommendation of economic development policies and programs.
Public Arts Advisory Board
The Elon Arts Advisory Board is tasked with selecting works of art and working in cooperation with other Town advisory boards to develop a public art program for the Town of Elon. The advisory board selects works of art to be approved by the Town Council before they are acquired or transferred, sold or deaccessioned. The advisory board advocates for public art in Elon, reviews, and assists with public art projects. The Arts Advisory Board works with town departments to create community art projects such as the annual Earth Day Art Contest.
- Advise Burlington City Council and staff on:
- Routes, ridership, fares, customer service, general operating policy, short/long term goals;
- Public participation, rider safety and convenience, service areas, route changes, coordinate with existing transit services and private partners to enhance service options;
- Recommended service enhancements, annual budget review, branding & advertising campaigns, public education.
Purpose: To support the Mayor and Town Council in integrating sustainability principles into Town operations and the broader community consciousness, while promoting economic viability, environmental stewardship, and social responsibility through the following activities:
- Policy Development: Provide guidance to the Mayor and Town Council on institutionalizing environmentally sustainable practices by evaluating and proposing policies that support Town sustainability commitments.
- Education: Increase awareness of sustainability topics by developing and recommending activities aimed at promoting sustainable behaviors across the community.
- Partnership: Facilitate and encourage public and private partnerships that improve the effectiveness of efforts to create a more environmentally sustainable future.